Need to transfer your blog to a self-hosted WordPress site like I did? Hire BizQnek and let them do it for you.

How to Improve Your Writing in 4 Easy Steps

Boy easy writing

Whether you have been writing for your own blog over the past few years, or even if you recently started a new blog and you only have a few posts under your belt, you have to come to the realization that not every single post is going to be perfect.

But if you find yourself constantly worrying about the quality of your posts and you feel that it’s holding you back from writing excellent content, there are numerous ways you can not only improve your writing, but write in a more time-efficient manner as well.

Here are four easy writing tips every blogger should be aware of before they click on the publish button:

1. Read Everything Out Loud

Believe it or not, whenever you read something silently in your head, your brain has a nasty habit of automatically correcting all of your grammatical errors so they tend to be overlooked.

Because of this, you should try reading your article out loud so that way you can hear the errors.

2. Write How You Talk

The next time you find yourself struggling to think of the right way to word a sentence, try to write down what you want to say word for word as if you were explaining the subject of your article to someone face-to-face.

Make sure you punctuate correctly if you are a more colloquial speaker.

3. Answer All of the Important Questions in the First Paragraph

Because readers tend to scan over the first few sentences of an article first to see if it interests them, you should realistically be spending the majority of your time focusing on the first few sentences of each blog post.

If you truly care about capturing your reader’s attention, then try to introduce all of your main points in the first paragraph and then elaborate on them later.

4. Remember: There is No Such Thing as Writer’s Block

And last, but certainly not least, if you find yourself struggling to write good content for your blog, try taking a break for a few minutes, hours or even days until you feel you are in the right mindset to continue your writing.

Some writers sit in front of a computer screen for hours on end just because they feel the pressure of writing a good article, but realistically writing shouldn’t take that long at all.

Remember, instead of wasting several hours writing mediocre content, wait until you’re in the right frame of mind so you spend several minutes writing excellent content.

Over to You

How do you overcome writing challenges? Let’s hear them in the comments area.

Image Credit: photostock

Guest Post by Maria Rainier
Maria Rainier is a freelance writer and recent graduate of Elon University. She is currently a resident blogger at a college degrees resource site, where recently she’s been researching different business administration degrees and blogging about student life. In her spare time, she enjoys square-foot gardening, swimming, and avoiding her laptop.
About Guest Blogger

This post was written by a guest contributor. To learn more about our guest view their details on the above post and feel free to visit their blog as well.

If you like to be a guest contributor for Meek Watcher please read our Guest Posting page for details about how you can share you invaluable insights.

MeekWatcher.com runs on the Genesis Framework Genesis Framework

Genesis empowers you to quickly and easily build incredible websites with WordPress. Whether you're a novice or advanced developer, Genesis provides the secure and search-engine-optimized foundation that takes WordPress to places you never thought it could go. It's that simple - start using Genesis now!

Wanting to have a professional WordPress blog like this but don't know how to do it? Let BizQnek do the heavy lifting for you.

Comments

1. Timo Kiander says:

Maria,

Great tips!

The point #1 is important, because it helps to discover many grammatical errors in my text. Also, I like to have someone else to read my post before publishing it.

Many times that other person has found mistakes in my text – even after I had done proofreading myself.

Cheers,
    Timo

• Maria really nailed most of the issues a writer meets with four easy points but among them I find point number 1 as the most fundamental part. Frustratingly easy when you get to know it but a lot of writers tend to slip on this one.

So our eyeballs are on the same path here Timo and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

2. Akos Fintor says:

Hey Maria,

I think “write the way you talk” is important because that’s how we bring some personality into our posts.
    No. 3 also a great tip. Readers’ attention span is shrinking by the hour :)
    No. 4 is something that I can relate it too. If I feel that I don’t have the “flow” then I just give it a rest and try writing later when I get inspired.
    Thanks for the share! :)

• Welcome to Meek Watcher Akos! Maria did cover most of the basics here.

Writing to your reader and not to yourself is an important key to initialize engagement with readers.

Putting your best “catch phrases” on the first paragraph helps to nail the audience in their place and read more.

Now the last part is the tricky one. I do believe there is a thing called “writer’s block” and the culprit most of the time is time itself.

If your mind is pre-occupied with some other priorities then those creative thoughts that should have been written just keeps floating in the air. Detaching a bit from those “distractions” and taking some moment to compose yourself really helps to get you back on track.

Thank you for spending time to share Akos.

3. Hi Maria & Ramcel,
    I am more of a natural researcher and ideas so I had to learn how to write about these things for my blog. I have tried different methods like reading out loud and writing as I talk.

I am working on now adding more of my personality into my posts. I didn’t really consider answering all of the questions in the first paragraph. I will have to try that next time.

• That makes the two of us Justin. Research plays an important role to backup what we are about to say. It becomes even more solid when like-minded people appreciates and adds more value to the content itself.

As simple as it is, we sometimes forget about the pointers Maria has pointed out. I am guilty of these as well.

4. Sally Brown says:

I tend to write more formally than I speak. After I’ve finished catching the typos and errors (I hope anyway), then I read again to make sure it sounds the way I speak.

I feel this is an important way to allow your reader to know you. I really like this post as it is a good, concise list of the most important aspects of writing. Thanks Maria and Ramcel

• Thanks for the comment Sally. Writing is the perfect opportunity to draft and edit what you have written and unlike verbal communication where anything that has been said is done, we are free to correct errors by just hitting the backspace.

One of my tricks to effectively catch typos is to read paragraphs word-by-word backwards. Yes, backwards. Because like Maria stated, our brain tends to auto-correct mispelled words when we are reading the usual way.

5. Prime Aque says:

“Write How You Talk”, I guess it’s just like saying ‘be who you are in writing your post’. We don’t need to be somebody else. We are here to blog, we are not here to pretend like gurus and experts about certain matters. Actually, I was guilty after reading a good post few months ago, I remember some phrase like this: ‘don’t be like Darren Rowse, readers love him but they wont love you as him’. I always remember that whenever I am writing my topic, I want to be me, I want to be loved by my few readers as Prime Aque and not someone famous.

• That is a very valuable find Prime Aque and well written too. I got to drink what you’ve been drinking dude :)

I guess there will only be one Darren Rowse in the whole wide world. He is an inspiration to bloggers and will always be. People can try to be like him but they can put a different flavor to inject their own personality in what they say.

Nothing beats being yourself every step of the way.

6. Gregg Camp says:

I agree. Worrying too much about how the articles will look, can greatly affect our work. I think amazing articles come naturally and can not be forced to happen. Also I am very guilty of number 1. :) I sometimes even miss a word here and there once in a while, but a lot of people do too. Simply because our brain can work way faster than our fingers can ever do.

And I take quick walks whenever I feel that I can’t process properly. It helps me get in the right mindset and get the juices flowing. Works wonders for me. :)

• You got that right. Writing more naturally will not only show your identity but it also let readers see who they want to engage with. The way you write reflects who you are.

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your insights Gregg. Hope to see you here again soon.

7. zeanee says:

Great tips on how to write more effectively.

Thank you for sharing this information :)

8. Sally Brown says:

Hey Ramcel,
    I really like this one. I now will have to spend more time on the first few sentences. I miss seeing you around Blog Engage. I always enjoy the posts you present. Sally

• Wonderful tips from our guest Maria. I am happy to hear that you liked this piece.

I’ve been busy for quite some time that I infrequently visit Blog Engage. But I do get updates from my email subscriptions and RSS feeds and I know that your hard work is finally paying off.

I’ll be in touch and I will be posting more articles soon.

Kudos to you, Sally!

9. Daniel Wood says:

Nice post Maria. Your tips sounds simple but i think they are very effective. Though i am not a writer but i would like to ask you how do you people come up with these ideas. I mean let the post i even can’t think of a topic. If ever i try i always get confused on which topic should i write as already there are a lot of articles and post on each topic.

• Thank you for stopping by Daniel.

Most bloggers write about their experiences relating to the niche that they have chosen. It’s like a spark that just hits your head and suddenly it will burst into flames when you work with it.

I guess the right term I am meaning to say to you is “just share” and let everything flow naturally as you write about it.

Cheers!

10. Horstman says:

Thank you for the tipps. No I’ve to overcome my not existing writers block :-)

11. These are great tips and advises that we can use if ever we would like to write a content, uniqueness is the key in here, aside from that you must have a original content. after you have finished your article you must proof read it for you to know what’s the mistakes.

12. Vanessa says:

Before you start to write any business document, identify the single idea you’re trying to get across. The more you write, the more you’ll notice subtle improvements in your work. Eventually, you’ll develop your own unique style of writing, known as your voice. Whether we’re composing a blog or a business letter, an email or an essay, our goal should be to respond clearly and directly to the needs and interests of our readers.

13. Radu says:

I’m not sure that writing about everything is such a good idea.

14. Gunsmithing Schools says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely can i encounter a blog that’s the two educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you have hit the nail over the head. Your idea is actually outstanding; the issue is a factor that not enough people are generally speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that stumbled across this around my search for something relating to this.

15. Andrew James says:

Tips you just shared are quiet awesome. I think even for a beginner it like a complete pathway that how to start writing. I also got great help from it. Your article shows your passion about writing.